Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Ringing the Bell

Today I attempted to teach our boys about giving and kindness. It didn't exactly go as planned.

I signed us up as volunteer "bell ringers" for the Salvation Army. We went to our assigned local grocery store at our assigned time and got our red aprons, red collection kettle, and the famous gold Salvation Army bell.

Now for safety. I had a one year old and five year old on the curb of a busy parking lot, (no, none of this was well thought out when I gleefully signed us up). At the last-minute suggestion of a friend from Idaho - I'm convinced God contacted her directly - I brought our red wagon and strapped both boys in, put a festive Christmas blanket on their laps, and labeled it with a sign that said, "Santa's Back-up Sleigh."
Bodie joyfully put reindeer antlers on his head. I put an extra long Santa hat on. Gates happily threw his Santa hat on the ground along with his shoes, socks, and jacket; it was 45 degrees with an impressive wind.

Knowing it would be tough for two little guys to sit in a wagon for ninety minutes,  I sweetened the deal, telling the boys that every time we got five donations they could have a chocolate kiss. I envisioned crowds flocking to us, pulling every last dime from their pockets, praising the boys for their efforts as they stuffed their faces with chocolate kisses.

We attached our kettle to the stand outside the store and began ringing our bell. From the first ring of the bell, the traffic pattern of people going into the grocery store drastically changed. People walked 50 to 200 feet out of their way to AVOID us and go in the other door. We were like human repellant; a giant anchovy in the middle of an otherwise delicious pizza.  

To make matters worse, I had done some pretty good build up with the boys about how wonderful it is to give and how when you give, it makes others feel good and they want to give too. My pep talk did not include, "People will not make eye contact, pretend they didn't hear you shout 'Merry Christmas,' and walk face first into the glass of the exit door just to avoid you," (true story, it happened SIX times!)
Fortunately Bodie was committed to earning a chocolate kiss. He shouted Merry Christmas over and over and over again. Gates rung the bell, ate the bell, dropped the bell and rung it some more and after 90 minutes, we rallied 16 donations.

So here's what I learned...
  • I will forever make eye contact with the Salvation Army bell ringers - whether I donate or not, I can always be kind,
  • While writing a check would have been easier, there is no substitution for experience,
  • Wagons (and inspired friends) are life savers,
  • I never want to be a perfume sample sprayer in a department store, and
  • I am a glutton for punishment because we have a second shift on the evening of the 22nd...Bell Ringers, Take Two!

2 comments:

  1. You're the best! I'm putting the 22 on my calendar. We'll come donate--each one of us to make five (and a kiss!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AH! This sounds exactly like our caroling experience in OUR neighborhood. You would have thought we were selling magazines! Seriously cried over my lack of faith in humanity. Way to brave it--and go bodie!

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE getting comments, so start posting!